When to Re-Register

Your registration is permanent unless you move or change your name.

Address changes

If you have moved within suburban Cook County, you must transfer your registration by re-registering. You may choose to write your new address on the back of your voter identification card and mail it to the Clerk's downtown Chicago office.

You must re-register with the new local election authority or county clerk if you move to an address outside suburban Cook County.

Name changes

Voters who legally change their name, but not their address, do not have to re-register. If you have changed your name, you can vote after updating your information at the polls.

Recently married?

If you are a newlywed, check out this special flyer that describes how to keep your voter registration accurate and valid.