The best source for your PIN is your deed or tax bill, or other documents you may have from the purchase of your home. If you are not able to locate any of these documents, the Cook County Assessor's website can help you locate a PIN from an address.
Matches are not guaranteed, and there may be some addresses that are not available. In most cases the Assessor's office provides a photograph of the property, which can help verify the match of the address to the PIN.
- I know I'm in a TIF, why doesn't it show up here?
The only TIF districts shown are those districts active for the current tax year. Sometimes a municipality passes an ordinance to establish a TIF but delays filing the ordinance or there is a problem with the ordinance and the TIF cannot be put on the tax rolls until that is corrected. Also, remember that Illinois taxes in arrears, meaning that the tax year that is current is the past calendar year, so a TIF that was just passed cannot immediately appear on the tax rolls.
- Why aren't these percentages the same as on my tax bill?
The percentages on your tax bill do not reflect the incremental portion for the TIF because there is no tax rate for the TIF. The percentages viewed on this site show how tax dollars are distributed given that a portion of the money must go to the TIF under Illinois law.
For example, if the percentage for the TIF is 20%, the remaining 80% is distributed according to the percentages shown on your bill. The result of that calculation is what is shown on this site.
- How can it be that so much of the money in my tax code is going to the TIF?
State law governing tax increment financing directs the Clerk to allocate all funds derived from the "incremental value" of the property to benefit the TIF, so the municipality can accomplish the goals of the TIF redevelopment plan. If the properties in question had a very low value at the inception of the TIF, or if they were exempt and had no taxable value at all as a result, all development constitutes an increase in the value. The tax revenue derived from that increased value represents the incremental taxes that flow to the TIF district.
- Why would a TIF have exempt properties?
Municipalities struggling with blighted neighborhoods, or seeking to redevelop a large swath of land, may need to consolidate ownership so that redevelopment can occur. Often this is done through eminent domain or condemnation, but the municipality can acquire property through other means as well. While owned by the government the property can be declared exempt.
- Where can I get more information about my TIF?
Contact your municipality. They created the TIF district and are responsible for its administration and budget. If you live in the City of Chicago, you can visit the city's website to access reports and ordinances regarding TIFs in the city. For suburban municipalities, the information available on the web will vary. For a list of suburban municipalities and their websites, click here. Municipalities must file TIF annual reports for each of their TIF districts with the Illinois Comptroller. These are available for review at the Office of the State Comptroller. For more information, contact the Comptroller's Office.