Terminating A Domestic Partnership

An individual or partners may jointly or separately terminate their registered domestic partnership at any time by completing and filing an Affidavit of Termination that officially states and recognizes that the partnership has ended.


Terminating jointly

  • A $30 fee is required.
  • An Affidavit of Termination* must be filed with the Clerk's office within 30 days after the partnership has ended.
  • Termination of the domestic partnership will officially take effect 30 days after the filing.
  • You must notify any others (e.g. employers) who would be affected by the termination.
  • The Clerk's office will issue you proof of termination.

You may legally register another domestic partnership 30 days after the Affidavit of Termination has been filed with the Clerk's office.

Terminating separately

If you wish to file an Affidavit of Termination separately, you must:

  • Pay a $30 fee.
  • Send a completed copy of the Affidavit of Termination* to your former partner via registered mail before filing it with the Clerk's office. You are not required to notarize the copy you send to your former partner.
  • You must notify any others (e.g. employers) who would be affected by the termination.
  • Visit the Clerk's office and present a receipt for registered mail as proof that you sent a copy of the Affidavit of Termination to your former partner.

Rescinding termination

You may rescind the Affidavit of Termination within 30 days of filing it with the Clerk's office by filing an Affidavit to Rescind Termination*. If no Affidavit to Rescind Termination is filed within 30 days, the domestic partnership registration is terminated.

Civil Unions

The domestic partnership of registered domestic partners will terminate without the need for an affidavit if those partners enter into a Civil Union.