The Cook County Clerk's office certifies newly commissioned notaries public who live in Cook County and certifies notaries' signatures.
However, the Illinois Secretary of State first processes all notary public applications. You can print an application to become a notary public at the Secretary of State's website or call (217) 782-7017.
- After receiving commissions from the Secretary of State's office, the Clerk's office mails signature slips to the notaries public.
- The notary public must sign and return the signature slip to the Clerk's office.
- The Clerk's office will mail you the commission.
Returning the signature slip
The fee is $10 if the signature slip is mailed back to the Clerk's office and $5 if returned in person.
The slip should be mailed to:
Cook County Clerk
Cook County Vital Records
Attn: Notary Public Unit
P.O. Box 641070
Chicago, IL 60664-1070
- If returning by mail, include the following:
- The signed signature slip
- A $10 check or money order payable to "Cook County Clerk"
- If returning in person:
- Visit one of the Clerk's six office locations
- Pay the $5 fee