Cook County Clerk David Orr and staff will take part in a number of voter registration events throughout Chicago and the suburbs on Tuesday as part of National Voter Registration Day (NVRD).
The annual nationwide effort is to ensure that no eligible voters are left behind on Election Day because they missed a registration deadline or did not know how or where to go to register. National Voter Registration Day is an opportunity for voters to put their differences aside and celebrate the rights that unite them as Americans; democracy.
“There’s much attention being paid to the Presidential Election,” Orr said, “but the number one item voters need to make sure of right now is that they are registered to vote, and if not, then they must take advantage of the many opportunities available to register.”
“Having my office taking part in all these voter registration events at CTA and Metra stations, colleges, hospitals, community centers and libraries, is one way to try to catch those eligible voters who may not be aware of their voter registration status.”
Orr will begin the day at 7:30 a.m. at the CTA’s 95th Street Red Line station joined by representatives from the Amalgamated Transit Union and Rainbow/PUSH to talk about NVRD, informing eligible voters about voter registration and help register anyone who wishes to register there.
Orr will then take part in a voter registration rally and press conference with Chicago Votes, at Daley Center Plaza at 10 a.m.
The Clerk’s Office will take part in or co-sponsor nearly 90 voter registration events throughout Cook County Tuesday, from Matteson to Maywood, Markham to Winnetka, and Evanston to Chicago Heights.
Among them are:
- Metra stations:
o Ogilvie Transportation Center, 500 W. Madison St., 7 to 9a.m and 4 to 6p.m.
o Davis Street, 901 Davis St., Evanston, 4 to 6 p.m.
o 143rd Street Station, Orland Park, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Clerk’s staff will hold voter registration at DePaul University, 1 E. Jackson Blvd., from 11 a.m. – 1p.m.
- Clerk’s office representatives will be registering voters and distributing voting information inside U.S. Cellular Field from 6 – 9 p.m., during the Chicago White Sox game with the Tampa Bay Rays.
Other locations where the Clerk’s office has partnered with schools, hospitals, community and civic groups to hold voter registration include:
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- DePaul University
- Trinity Christian College
- South Suburban College in South Holland
- Prairie State College in Chicago Heights
- Triton College in River Grove
- 13 Access Community Health Network sites
- Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood
- Kraft/Heinz in Glenview
- Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Second Baptist Church in Evanston
- Gibbs Morrison Community Center in Evanston
- Matteson Public Library
- Homewood Public Library
- Markham Village Hall
- Bartlett High School
- Thornridge High School in Dolton